Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Nepali movie makers talks about "Money or Talent" (Paisa ki Kala) on Ncell Nepal Literaure festival 2014


Moin Uddin
Date: 09/22/2014
Money or Talent (Paisa ki Kala)

Asif Shah, Dipendra K Khanal and Rambabu  Gurung got together in a different show to talk about "Paisa ki Kala" at Ncell Nepal Literature Festival 2014, held at Pragya Bhawan, Kamaladi. The program was moderated by Journalist Yagyas.


The moderators asked many questions to the guest and when ask about how the movie Karkash was made, the director Asif Shah said, "I invested my money in making Karkash. It's really difficult to get the investment back, however on happy note I recovered my investment in a year."

 
He added," while planning to make a movie, I was thinking of a theme and my house is in Nayabar and office at Babarmahal and in-between I there is Thamel, it's a tourist hub. At first I thought of making a movie where the story would take place in a single day and later, after seeing musicians playing the instruments and singing songs at the restaurants, I thought, why not to make a movie on this theme –band mates. So, the idea emerged in this way."

The moderator asked to Ram Babu Gurung, the director of the movie 'Kabbadi' regarding people perceiving it as a documentary movie, he said, "May be people said that, but at the end it became successful and also the investment was recovered and we also earned the profit."

Ram Babu shared how he came into movies,"My family tells me to go to the foreign country, but I didn't want to go, I want to stay here and I knew only what I know to do .i.e. film making and tried and eventually I became successful."

When asked regarding the question to the director Dipendra K Khanal of the movie 'Chapali Height', What is necessary in the industry and what time demands in this moment in making a movie?" he said, "the need of an hour is –everyone should be competent- be it actor, director and other stakeholders too. Unless and until they don't try to come and be competent, the industry will not flourish." He added, "I left Seven Movies after Jholey as I didn't have the script that made like in making a movie."

What is the inspiring or motivating factor for you in making or to keep on continuing making movies, where Asif said, "I always talk and the subject that I choose is only of making movies when I am with my friend."
He also said about his future project, "Right now, I am working on a theme Raktachandan, so I am researching on it and it has been five years that I am continually researching –sometime I put some other thing on the script and sometime I cut off and fill it with other ideas. So I am just researching. "



When the audience queried regarding, why the movies are released in a same day, why do they compete each other and who does that so? Dipendra answered ," The producer does so, they don't think about the future effects and they think that their movies are only good and only their movies will perform better and rule the market and earn a profit – due to their own ego the movies compete and no-one gets the share that they should have gotten. I myself went and had suggested them- humbly– that it shouldn't be done; audiences get divided when many films are released in a same day, so it's not good. "

How do the Nepali cinema get the markets and this question was answered by Asif, he said, "the film festivals are the platform for us to get the market."

In a humorous way he said, "Still I am playing a small –small game, not a big–big game, maybe it's because of lack of motivation."

Why are good movies not being made, where Dipendra said, "we are trying to write a good compelling script and still we didn't have had – So, we are not making movies these days? We'll make after discussing with our friends –Asif, Ram Babu and with our other friends too."



There is still a same like sad story, the same problem that most faces –as the Nepali movie industry itself is small and still most actors receive their payment in envelope where Asif shared a short story of his friend, "My friend who is also an actor, he said that the payment we get is like going to a home in Dashain and while Putting Tika as a Dakshina – our elders sometimes gives Rs100 and sometimes Rs 100, however I didn't do so, I gave a cash to my Actors."




 












Short Bio of an author:
Moin Uddin is a  student of Masters in Business Studies  (MBS) studying at Shankhar Dev Campus, Putalisadak .He has a passion to write and has written a Novel book, He's looking for a publisher to publish his book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment