Sunday, March 18, 2012

Joining The Nepal Army


Joining the Nepal Army
PRAVAT JUNG GURUNG
KATHMANDU, March 19: The decade-long insurgency came to an end with the end of monarchy in 2006, leaving thousands dead and even more handicapped and the Maoist Party entering mainstream politics.

The integration of PLA soldiers into the national army, Nepal Army, is to begin soon, if the leaders are to be taken seriously.

All along, a group of new Nepal Army soldier enthusiasts are all set to apply for positions in the prestigious institution.

The prestige one holds after joining the national army is incomparable, so says 20-year-old Biraz Singh Khadka.

He has been working out to serve the country for the past two years and is excited to apply for a job soon in the security force.



“I went for a short training in Chitwan last year, so I could prepare myself and learn the ‘know how’s’ of the army, and that got me even more excited,” says Biraz.

His uncle is in the army and his dad always wanted to be one. “My dad couldn’t make it because he was underweight and wanted me to join, and I’ve always wanted to serve the nation and be excited about it at the same time,” he shares.

Moin Uddin, 22, on the other hand, wants to join the army because, according to him, the prestige, facilities and the opportunities you get in the long run are something to look forward to, and being in the army excites him more than anything else.

“My family isn’t really supporting me but I want to join the security force because nothing excites me more than to be in the green and black patched clothing,” he says.

Moin’s parents live in Kathmandu and want him to have a proper paying job, start supporting the family and hold a certain reputation in the society, something that, perhaps, all parents will want for their children and is not wrong to think so.

As a parent, you will always want your children to self-sustain and reach a certain level.

Both are young, enthusiastic and excited to apply for the demanding post of Second Lieutenant in the next opening of the national army, both the lads run everyday followed by rigorous workouts.

One has to be mentally and physically fit to join the force and once you are in, the strict discipline, less family time, are just some of the sacrifices one has to make.

“I really wanted to make a tattoo but I can’t because the army doesn’t allow it. But I’m okay with it because if I get in, it’s all going to be worth it,” says a smiling Biraz, who is also doing his Bachelor’s at the moment at Ace Institute of Management.

“If I don’t get into the army, I’ll try in the other security forces (Nepal Police and Armed Police Force) and if that doesn’t work out either, I’ll be working in the media field, as I am doing now,” he shares.

Moin, on the other hand, besides dreaming of being with the army, has dreamt of being a writer and will continue his journey in the field of literature if he doesn’t succeed getting in.

When asked if they have ever given a thought about the financial aspect, Moin quickly replies, “The salary will be less but the sense of satisfaction you’re going to get will, hopefully, overpower the financial bit.”

Echoing the same, Biraz is fine with the pay but adds that it’s definitely going to be difficult with the ever increasing inflation and skyrocketing prices of commodities.

“It’s not only the pay, but the job also requires you to study a lot as you move up the position, and it’s very tough,” he says, and it’s something both of them are willing to do along with the risk that comes attached with the job.

The two of them also add that they will get to travel the country, go places, and help people and, if opportunity arises, they will also get to travel abroad for trainings and also jobs through the army.

“I’ve seen a lot of people, even my friends for that matter, applying for British and Indian Army and, frankly even I did think of applying because the pay and perks is something that lures most of the young but then I thought why not my own national army?” says Biraz, as Moin adds in a very positive tone, “It’s going to be a privilege for us to work for our own army if we’re selected.”

(This article was published in the newspaper Republica on  March 19 2012, Monday)

No comments:

Post a Comment