Monday, November 5, 2012

Nepali Heroine

By: Moin Uddin

Nepali Heroine

“We always search role model internationally, but the real role model is in our house, in our own country “this is what Dr. Tshering Lama, country director of Childreach Nepal had said while we were having ch

itchat.

So before I happen to talk with him, I talked with the seven enthusiast women who truly are an inspiration for many of us. Not only nationally, they are the global role models.

I was called by Jasmine Puri, public relations of Childreach Nepal to coordinate the press meet and I went to Bakhundole where the office of Childreach Nepal is located.

I knocked the door and there I was warmly welcomed by Shailee Basnet, the coordinator of Seven Summits Women team and also she is one of the members of that team.

There were others members and they were Asha Kumari Singh, Pujan Acharya, Pemadiki Sherpa, Maya Gurung, Chunu Shrestha and Nimdoma Sherpa.

I could feel the excitement in their faces and also in their Voice about todays (November 01, 2012, Thursday) Press meet.

Jasmine brought the paper for me to write about the details that I would need to say in a press meet.

Shailee gave me the details about their team and also the experiences that they have gained while climbing mountains.

They have successfully climbed Mt Everest (2008), Nepal and also Mt Kosciuszko (2010), Australia. Similarly they have also climbed Mt Elbrus (2010), Russia.

I asked them how it feels like after being on to the top of the Mountain. Chunu Shrestha says” It feels really great, the world seems small.”

I asked them why you choose to expedite the mountain; there are other things as well? Asha says” it has future in it.” And I asked her to elaborate it, then she says” We can work as a coach, we can work as a tourist guide and also there is name and fame attached to it.”

Shailee says” There are only Seven Women who have climbed the Mt Everest but we want it to spread the message that there are more women who can climb the mountains and to add the number into it, we also have climbed.” “It’s our craziness that we climbed the mountains and are determined into climbing 4 more mountains” says Pujan. Asha says” we love adventure”.

I was all prepared for the press meet. At 1:30pm we went at Nepal Tourism Board.

The program was scheduled to start at 2 pm but the journalists were still coming. However we started at 2:25pm.

All the team member of Seven Summit Women took their respected seat, the media person were all eager to cover the news and I was also eager to Coordinate the Press Meet.

I introduced all of the team members of Seven Summit Women. Shailee gave her presentation about the expedition that they have climbed and also said about the upcoming program of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, 5895m, the rooftop of Africa on 1-7 March, 2013.

I opened floor for the journalist to ask the question to these summiteers and some asked and they got answers too.

At 3pm we concluded the press meet program thanking Nepal Tourism Board for supporting to conduct this program and also inviting journalist to have a biscuit and tea.

Jasmine thanked me, also Rupesh Krishna Shrestha, lecturer of Kathmandu University School of Management, appreciated my work.

We clicked pictures and it was really nice for me to be the part of that program. One of the documentary film makers, James from America was capturing this moment in his camera.

I was more than happy as this is what I want to do. Yes, being coordinator is something that I want to do throughout my life and I was happy to do it. Also I was happy because I got to meet the change makers, the true women change makers. I felt proud to meet them. I always have felt that women can do extraordinary thing and this day, I met them personally.

They are the international Women heroes from my country Nepal. And I can proudly say that my country has so several talented, courageous, determined and positive change makers who can truly change the world into something incredible by the work they do.

I only want to say that those people who want our country to be recognized in the world and want to see the women of Nepal progressing and competing in the world than do fund their Projects.

I urge all the media and the other stakeholders to believe in their dream and give them moral support so that they can achieve it.

These seven summit women team are in their mission to climb the tallest mountain in all the continents.

Less than 300 people in the world have climbed 7 summits, of them only 51 are women. Only two Nepali men have achieved this feat till date.

The team will highlight the importance of “girl education” during their Mt. Kilimanjaro climb,” killi for a cause”. Three African women also will be joining in this mission to highlight the importance of girl education around the world.

After the expedition these women will be sharing their stories and will encourage young students, especially girls, promoting the importance of education in achieving their dreams.

Let’s support them. It’s a big chance for us to contribute for our country. By doing so we’ll be promoting our country in the international arena. Nepal will be recognized in the entire universe.


https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/7summitswomen

https://www.facebook.com/Sevensummitswomen?fref=ts
Sevensummitswomen
https://www.facebook.com/childreachnepal?fref=ts
Childreach Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment